40 cloves of garlic! Yes, you read that right! This is a French classic recipe, a roasted chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. Seems like a lot of garlic, but believe me, this is so AMAZINGLY delicious.
The classic version of this awesome recipe is truly simple, only a few ingredients, as you can imagine, the garlic builds the flavour in this recipe. The original recipe is usually done with a whole chicken and cognac. There are a few variations out there but I did my own version.
I kept it simple as in the original recipe, but I used chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken, and since I did not have any cognac, I replaced it with lemon juice (just because I can !). All you have to do is brown the chicken first to get a crispy skin, season it well with salt and pepper and reserve on a plate. Now brown the garlic cloves, add in the white wine and lemon juice, put the chicken back in, cover and bake in the oven.
The garlic will infuse the chicken. The wine and lemon juice will reduce and mix with the garlic to create a creamy sauce. You can serve this awesome chicken with a creamy potato mash, mix in some of that roasted garlic for extra yumminess. Use some of the garlic to spread on bread and you’ve got yourself an awesome fancy dish!
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 6 to 8 chicken thighs (skin on and bone in)
- 40 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 1 cup of white wine
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt and Pepper
- Pat dry the chicken with paper towels.
- Generously salt and pepper both sides.
- In a dutch oven heat up 1tbsp of olive oil.
- Brown the chicken on both sides (skin side down first) for about 5 minutes on each side (you can do this in batches if the chicken doesn’t fit in all at once).
- Reserve the chicken on a plate.
- Remove all fat except 1 tbsp.
- Add in the 40 garlic cloves and cook for a few minutes (be careful not to burn the garlic).
- Add in the white wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to release any bits.
- Add in the lemon juice and return the chicken to the pot.
- Cover and bake in a preheated oven at 400F for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the lid, baste the chicken with the liquid.
- Return to the oven uncovered for another 45 minutes.