What could be more delicious than an amazing roasted chicken?!? A roasted chicken wrapped in BACON!!!! Yes! Bacon makes everything even more delicious! Bacon is definitely one of my guilty pleasures in the kitchen.
And as if that wasn’t enough, I glazed the whole thing in maple syrup!!!! You can’t get more Canadian than this, bacon and maple syrup! But honestly, this chicken is soooooo good. By wrapping the chicken with bacon, you trap in all the natural juices inside the chicken, leaving you with a crispy exterior and juicy, moist chicken inside.
The veggies slowly roast in the chicken drippings and bacon fat, infusing them with AMAZING flavours. This chicken is hard to resist and surprisingly very easy to make. No need to get too fancy here, simply wrap the bacon strips over the chicken. I started with the legs, then the breast (no need to go under the chicken, just press the bacon on top) then the wings.
I tied the legs of the chicken and pinned the wings on the sides with toothpicks, that way it cooks evenly. Always make sure that the internal temperature reach 165 F at the thickest part of the bird and the juices run clear, and if you are chicken, like me (pun intended 😜) about cooking safely, let it reach 180 F. That is what the Canadian safety guide recommends.
- 1 whole chicken
- 8 strips of bacon
- 1 lemon (quartered)
- 2 carrots (cut in chunks)
- 3 celery sticks (cut in chunks)
- 4 potatoes (cut in wedges)
- 1 large onion (thickly sliced)
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- Dry parsley
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- Preheat the oven at 375F.
- Cut the onion and place at the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Pat dry the chicken.
- Salt and pepper the skin of the chicken.
- Insert the lemon into the cavity.
- Wrap each leg with a strip of bacon.
- Then also wrap the chicken breast with bacon.
- Wrap the wings with the bacon last (then secure them with a toothpick on the side of the chicken)
- Tie the legs of the chicken with butchers’ cord.
- Place the veggies all around the chicken.
- Pour the chicken broth onto the veggies.
- Salt and pepper again.
- Sprinkle dry parsley over the veggies and chicken.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Check the chicken every 20 minutes. If the bacon starts to get dark, cover just the chicken, with foil)
- Brush on the maple syrup over the chicken and return to oven for 5 minutes.