Isn’t it amazing how many ways you can prepare chicken? No doubt, that is why it is my all time favourite protein to work with. I mean, the flavours you can give chicken are almost endless! Now I know this is not the real piri piri chicken you would find in a Portuguese home or restaurant.
But, if like me, you don’t have time to make your own piri peri sauce ( which is traditionally made from crushed chillies, citrus peel, onion, pepper, salt, lemon juice, bay leaves, paprika, pimento, basil, oregano, and tarragon),
or if you cannot find piri piri sauce at your grocery store, which I have been looking for years, here’s a quick alternative, piri piri seasoning! I have used the Club House Signature piri piri seasoning blend. It is packed with flavour and was perfect for this recipe.
I simply mixed the piri piri seasoning with oil, garlic and a touch of Sriracha sauce (because I love things spicy) to make a paste that you simply brush onto the chicken and bake in the oven, simple enough right? As usual I have used chicken thighs with skin on and bones in because they render the most flavour.
- 6 to 8 chicken thighs (skin on and bones in)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp of piri piri seasoning
- 2 tsp of Sriracha sauce
- Parsley to garnish
- Place the chicken thighs in an oven safe dish.
- In a bowl, mix the remaining ingredients to create a paste.
- Brush the paste onto the chicken thighs.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated oven at 375F for about 50 minutes.
- In the last 10 minutes, baste the chicken with the liquid at the bottom of the dish.
- Garnish with the freshly chopped parsley.