This could easily have been a chicken wing recipe, but I got carried away and decided to make it with a whole chicken! This spicy baked chicken is so yummy! I cut up a whole chicken into pieces, and removed the skin except for the wings (I wanted to test this for a wing recipe).
Both skin off or skin on it is super delicious. If you don’t want to cut up a whole chicken, you can use just the legs or thighs. But of course, buying a whole chicken and preparing it yourself saves you money, and who doesn’t like that?
You can replace the red Thai chilli peppers with red chilli flakes (about 1/2 tsp) and of course, if you don’t have tomato paste in a tube, opening up a can for a couple of tablespoon is something we all hate to do, but you can freeze what is left over (that is what I usually do) or simply replace it with ketchup.
I’m all for substituting when making recipes. Always work with what you have on hand, no need to stress about it, remember, cooking should be fun, be creative! Hope you will enjoy this yummy chicken recipe!
- 1 whole chicken (cut into 8 pieces skin removed)
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 red Thai chilli peppers (sliced)
- 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp of cumin
- 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl mix all of the ingredients for the marinade.
- With the point of a sharp knife, poke holes into the chicken pieces.
- Add the chicken into the bowl, mixing well to coat each piece of chicken.
- Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours, over night is even better.
- Preheat the oven at 425F.
- Now place the chicken pieces on a rack, in a roasting pan.
- Generously brush the remainder of the marinade on each piece of chicken.
- Bake for about one hour or until fully cooked.