Porcupine meatballs, you are so delicious!!!! Yes you are!!!!!
I love meatballs, and these little porcupine meatballs are so easy to make. I chose to make them in the slow cooker. The slow cooker might be the greatest invention of all time (well for cooking at least), If you own a slow cooker, you can prepare endless tasty meals while you are at work! Amazing right!?! If you need more recipes for your slow cooker, check out this awesome resource for slow cooker recipes called: All Free Slow Cooker Recipes
My choice of meat was pork and beef. You can easily use one or the other. Porcupine meatballs are very simple, uncooked rice is used in the meat mixture and as the meatballs cook, the rice extends and comes out creating little spikes, thus the name porcupine meatballs.
I use a very simple sauce for these meatballs made with condensed tomato soup, Worcestershire sauce, water and a dash of hot sauce, that’s it! Simple, tasty and very economical, but you can use any kind of tomato sauce you like.
This recipe will yield about 24 meatballs the size of a golf ball. Serve them over white rice, mashed potatoes or pasta. Left over meatballs can be frozen in a freezer bag or container for up to 3 months.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 pound of ground pork
- 1/4 cup of onions (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup of uncooked rice
- 1 egg
- 2 cans of condensed tomato soup
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1 tbsp of parsley (chopped)
- A dash of hot sauce
- In a large bowl, mix the pork, beef, onions, egg, rice, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper parsley and 2 tbsp of condensed tomato soup.
- Mix well with your hands to combine.
- Make small balls the size of a golf balls.
- Lay the meatballs onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven under broil for 10 minutes turning them after 5 minutes.
- Pour the condensed tomato soup in the slow cooker.
- Add in the water, Worcestershire sauce, and a dash of hot sauce mixing with a spoon.
- After 10 minutes, remove the meatballs form the oven.
- Place them in the slow cooker over the sauce.
- Place on the lid and set your slow cooker to low.
- Cook for about 6 hours.