Casseroles are fast becoming my favourite meals to prepare, everything in the same pot, no need for side dishes, what more could you ask for? The convenience makes them the Ideal dishes to serve.
This casserole will please the whole family, even the kids! Who doesn’t love pasta in a tomato based sauce covered with melted cheese, right?
I have used rotini pasta for this casserole, but you can use any short pasta, like macaroni elbows, penne or even rigatoni (in the case of rigatoni reduce the amount to 3 cups of dried pasta since they are a bit larger).
Make sure you use a skillet that goes in the oven. If you don’t have one, simply transfer the pasta into an oven safe dish before adding the cheese, and bake until the cheese has melted (about 10 minutes).
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 large red bell pepper (finely diced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 4 cups of dry rotini pasta
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of herbs de Provence
- 1 tbsp of dry parsley
- 3-1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 28oz can of whole tomatoes
- 1 5.5 oz can of tomato paste
- 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of grated mozzarella
- 6 basil leaves to garnish (chopped)
- In a large skillet heat one tbsp of olive oil.
- Add in the garlic, onion and red bell pepper.
- Cook until the onion and pepper are soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the ground beef and cook until no pink remains (about 8 minutes).
- Add in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the red wine vinegar and cook 1 minute.
- Add in the chicken broth, tomatoes, herbs de Provence, parsley and sugar.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the dry pasta and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Add the cheese on top and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with the chopped basil leaves.