When I get a craving for something, I just have to make it! And a craving for onion rings I had! I did not really choose an oven baked version just to be healthier (which by the way they are), but mostly because I hate deep frying.
Yes I admit it, when it comes to deep frying, I’m a bit of a chicken about it. Maybe If I owned a deep fryer I would be less afraid, but deep frying in a pan gives me anxiety, not to mention I really hate the smell it leaves in the house.
But I swear, these oven baked onion rings are just as crispy on the outside, tender and sweet on the inside, you will barely notice that they are not deep fried. Although they are not hard to make, they require a bit of work.
The best way I found to coat these onion rings one by one, without ending up with giant fingers made of egg and flour, is to use 2 bamboo skewers. It makes the manipulation so much easier and you keep your finger clean!
- 2 onions (sliced 1/4” thick)
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1-1/2 cups of Italian flavoured bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
- Slice the onions in about 1/4 inch thick slices, then separate the rings and reserve in a bowl of cold water.
- Prepare a dipping station using 3 bowls, one for the flour, one for the bread crumbs and one for the eggs.
- One at a time, take the onion rings, then dip in the flour, then dip into the eggs, then into the flour again, then into the eggs again and finally into the bread crumbs, making sure the ring is well coated.
- Place the rings in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Generously spray with cooking oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 450 F for 10 minutes.
- Turn the rings on the other side, spray again with cooking oil, and bake for another 10 minutes.