If you love lemons as much as I do, you will fall in love with this super easy and tasty recipe. I can’t wait for spring to bring my lemon trees outside so they can produce again (if you are new to my blog here is what I’m talking about ( My Office For The Summer) .
This recipe is truly very easy and quick, you can use left over rotisserie chicken to save even more time! Lemon with pasta and chicken is a truly winning combination in our home. The sauce (and I say sauce but in fact this is not a very saucy pasta dish) is made with butter and lemon juice.
I’ve added 1/2 a cup of the starchy pasta water to the mix. The starchy pasta water helps thicken the butter and lemon juice. The pasta will be coated with this yummy buttery lemon flavour with a hint of garlic.
Fresh parsley has a little “bitter” taste that brightens the flavours. It adds balance to the dish while the red crushed chilli flakes add a touch of heat, and of course salt and pepper which is a must in most of my cooking, plus who can resist the lemon and black pepper combination!
- 2 chicken breasts (cut in cubes)
- 3 tbsp of olive oil (divided)
- 4 cups of dry penne pasta
- 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water (water that you reserve after cooking the pasta)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 4 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp of freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A good pinch of crushed red chilli pepper flakes
- 1 lemon slice (for garnish)
- Start by cooking the pasta in a large pot of salted water according to the package directions (after the pasta is cooked, reserve 1/2 a cup of the cooking water).
- In a pan, heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Salt and pepper the chicken and cook fully (about 10 minutes).
- Reserve on a plate.
- To the same pan, heat up 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 3 minutes).
- Add in the lemon juice.
- Stir in the butter until melted.
- Add in the cooked pasta and the reserved pasta water.
- Mix in the chicken.
- Add in the parsley, red chilli pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with the lemon slices.