What an amazing week it has been for our blog! Our audience is growing at a rapid pace and Colin and I couldn’t be happier about it. Working on a blog is a very slow and long process. You really have to be passionate about it ( and I’m very much passionate about this awesome adventure) and seeing the response is all the motivation I need to continue.
Creating easy recipes with common ingredients is my ultimate goal. You can make delicious meals, even when you think you can’t cook! Like this easy crumbled Italian sausage with rice casserole! If you are looking for more amazing casserole recipes, visit https://www.allfreecasserolerecipes.com. They literally have 100’s of amazing casserole recipes (including some of my very own 🙂 )
Italian sausage is such a wonderful product to work with! All the seasonings are already inside the sausage! You could use the sausage by itself, without adding anymore spices and it would still taste amazing. But I like big flavour, so I’ve added just a few extra spices that you probably already have in your pantry.
I use a spicy Italian sausage (we like things hot in this house) but you can use a milder version if you prefer. My rice of choice is always basmati. I like the long grain rice and it always cooks to perfection with my simple method. Twice the amount of liquid versus the amount of basmati rice, lower the heat and cover, let cook 20 minutes without stirring (this work as well when cooked in a sauce pan with water). You will get a perfectly cooked rice every time!
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 lbs of Italian sausages (about 6 sausages)
- 1 bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tbsp of chilli powder
- 1 can of whole tomatoes (with juice)
- 1/2 a small can of vegetable juice (garden cocktail or v-8)
- A pinch of sugar
- 1 cup of basmati rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup of Tex Mex shredded cheese
- In a large pan heat up 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Remove the sausage meat from their casings.
- Crumble and cook the sausage meat until fully cooked (about 6 minutes)
- Drain the excess fat
- Add in the bell pepper, onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the cumin and chilli powder and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes (brake them up with a spoon)
- Add in the vegetable juice and sugar.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Add in the rice, cover and lower the heat to low.
- Let cook for 20 minutes without stirring or removing the lid.
- After 20 minutes, fluff up the rice with a fork.
- Add the cheese on top.
- Place under broil for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.