I’ve just gotten myself new pots and pans and could not wait to try them out! I got myself a much deserved pan with a lid made of stainless steel that I can use on the stove top and then can go directly to the oven! (I’ve been wanting this for a very long time).
What a joy and a difference it makes when you cook with the right instruments. I also wanted the real deal. I prefer not to use non stick pans because a non stick pan will not properly caramelize meat which gives you the wonderful little bits that stick to the bottom of the pan to create amazing sauces.
But to be able to cook with a non, non stick pan, it has to be of good quality and the bottom has to be thick enough to ensure that the food will not burn. When you know you have a good pan, then you need to know how to cook with it. Like in this recipe, I brown the chicken first, and to do so you need a very hot pan, a little bit of oil, and a little bit of know how.
First it is really important to pat dry the chicken. Once the pan is hot, place the chicken skin side down and wait! Don’t try to move the piece of chicken in the pan, for when the chicken skin is crispy and brown it will release itself from the pan. That is how you know its time to turn it to the other side!
- 6 chicken thighs (skin on, bone in)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 cups of broccoli fleurets
- 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of basmati rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley to garnish
- Pat dry the chicken thighs with paper towels.
- Generously salt and pepper the chicken thighs on both sides.
- In a pan, heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Brown the chicken thighs (skin side down) for about 5 minutes (You will know when they are ready to turn when they no longer stick to the bottom of the pan).
- Now turn and brown the other side for about 5 minutes.
- Reserve on a plate.
- Remove all the fat from the pan except for 1 tbsp.
- Add in the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant (about 3 minutes).
- Add in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pan to release the bits.
- Mix in the condensed cream of mushroom soup.
- Stir in the rice.
- Add in the broccoli fleurets.
- Return the chicken thighs to the pan.
- Cover and bake in a preheated oven at 375F for 45 minutes.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.