This dish reminds me so much of my childhood, my mom use to prepare this when I was a kid and it was one of my favourites because it had tomatoes in it! She use to make this with a whole chicken and with the years I’ve changed it a little by adding the mushrooms and provencial herbs.
I also like using chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken, that way I can brown the skin of the chicken thighs in a bit of olive oil first. I like using chicken thighs with the skin still on and the bones in, this enhances the flavour of the broth, but if you prefer you can use boneless chicken thighs, it will work as well.
This is a one pot dish. You can serve these with rice, or a green salad, but I usually serve this dish as is, with a crusty bread. It has enough veggies in it, to accompany the chicken and we use the bread to soak up that delicious sauce. By slowly cooking it in the oven the flavours have time to develop and infuse.
This dish can be prepared ahead of time on the week end. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Simply reheat in the oven for about 30 minutes. Perfect for those week nights after a long days work. You can also freeze this dish and keep it up to 4 months in the freezer. If you intend to freeze the whole batch, then don’t cook it all the way through. Reduce your cooking time by 1/2 so when you are ready to eat it, thaw over night in the fridge, and place in the oven and continue cooking until cooked all the way through.
- 6 chicken thighs (with skin on)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 2 lbs of carrots (cut in big chunks)
- 1 whole celery stalk (with leaves)
- 2 cloves of garlic ( minced)
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup of white mushroom ( sliced)
- 1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can of whole tomatoes
- 2 tbs of flour
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1\2 tsp of provencial herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley flakes
- In a non stick pan, heat up 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Brown the chicken on both sides for a few minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- In a roasting pan, melt the butter with 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add the carrots and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the celery and cook fo another 3 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic and mushroom cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the flour, smoked paprika and provencial herbs.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and mix well.
- Add the tomatoes and the bay leaf.
- Stir to mix all ingredients.
- Add the chicken on top of mixture, cover and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for about 2 hours.