Casseroles are so easy to make and not to mention super delicious. Everything cooks in the same pot and the flavours have time to fully develop, also filling your home with delicious aromas.
As you all know by now, chicken is my favourite protein. I cook and eat chicken several times a week. I could almost live on chicken meals alone, every single day. Chicken is by far the best choice of animal protein in my book.
Not only is it a lean meat, but a perfect vehicle for flavour. This casserole is super simple yet full of flavour. Tomato and basil go so well together, and are the perfect companion to chicken.
I’ve used a whole chicken that I cut into pieces. You can make this recipe with only the drumsticks, the thighs or even just chicken breasts. I like to use pieces of chicken with bones in and skin on, it gives so much more flavour to the casserole. I brown each piece of the chicken before adding them to the pot.
- 1 chicken (cut in pieces)
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 4 carrots (cut in big chunks)
- 1 28oz can of whole tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 8 large basil leaves (chopped)
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- In a pan, heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Salt and pepper the chicken pieces.
- Brown the chicken pieces on high heat for about 4 minutes on each side and reserve.
- In an oven safe dish put all the remaining ingredients.
- Place the chicken pieces on top.
- Cover with a lid or aluminium foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for about 2 hours.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.