We are still in the heart of winter, but this week we are having spring weather! That makes me very happy! A lot of sunshine, milder temperatures and the snow is melting at a rapid pace! Can’t wait for summer to start gardening again!
Even though the weather is super nice, we are still in winter and winter time calls for a delicious stew! Nothing beats making stew for me. The long slow cooking makes the meat super tender, the veggies get super flavourful and your home is filled with an amazing aroma.
I have different versions of beef stew, but this is one of my favourites. Carrots and beef to me are a match made in heaven, and when you combine them in a tomato based sauce, cooking for hours, it just becomes the perfect dish.
This carrot and beef stew is even better the next day when reheated, so you can make it over the weekend and keep it for a very hearty weeknight meal. You can serve this stew as is, with bread, over large egg noodles, or my favourite way, over a good amount of mashed potatoes!
- 1-1/2 lbs of stewing beef cubes
- 5 carrots (cut in big chunks)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 tsp of dry oregano
- 1 tbsp of freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Flour the beef cubes.
- In a large skillet, heat up 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Brown the beef cubes on each side (about 8 minutes).
- Reserve on a plate.
- In the same pan add the onion, garlic and carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in the red wine vinegar and deglaze the pan (scrape the bottom of the pan to release the bits).
- Add in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the beef broth and the can of whole tomatoes.
- Add in the herbs, salt and pepper.
- Put the beef cubes back in the pan and bring to a gentle boil and let boil for about 5 minutes.
- Transfers to an oven safe dish and bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 2-1/2 hours.