These delicious meatballs are packed with flavour! The basil is growing like crazy in my Aerogarden and I’am always looking for different ways to use it, and then I got the idea to use it within the meatballs and since basil and tomatoes go so well together, I used another favourite of mine, sun dried tomatoes!
The combo of basil and sun dried tomatoes in these meatballs is a true hit! Basil is extremely aromatic, with scents of pepper, anise and mint, with a sweet peppery, savoury and slightly minty taste.
Sun dried tomatoes have a sweet tart flavour that is more potent than regular tomatoes, they burst with flavour! Using them in meatballs gives you that extra flavour that will keep you coming back for more.
Like most of my meatballs, I used panko breadcrumbs. I find that the light texture of these breadcrumbs makes them light and moist. A little parmesan cheese in the mix and you get really tasty meatballs. Brown them in the oven before finishing the cooking in a home made marinara sauce, then cover them up with melted cheese and they are ready to go over your favourite pasta or ciabatta bread!
- 1 lbs of ground beef
- 3/4 cup of panko breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp of sun dried tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/4 cup of freshly chopped basil leaves
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of freshly chopped parsley
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 cups of marinara sauce (divided) (recipe here)
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl mix all of the ingredients except for the marinara sauce and the mozzarella cheese
- Add 3 tbsp of marinara sauce to the meat mixture.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, form the meatballs and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (you should have about 15 meatballs).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375F for 15 minutes.
- In a sauce pan, prepare the marinara sauce (or use a jar of your favourite pasta sauce).
- Bring the sauce to a gentle boil and add the meatballs to the sauce.
- Cover and then reduce heat and let simmer for a few hours.
- Uncover, then add the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Place under broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve over your favourite pasta.